sunnuntai 1. helmikuuta 2009

No "File | New | Window" menu item in Windows Explorer

There is no "File | New | Window" menu item in Windows Explorer.

To-do for Microsoft:
  • There should be "File | New | Window" menu item also in Windows Explorer, not just only in Internet Explorer.

8 kommenttia:

  1. Although I think it is a clear step above Vista, I've got a list of issues with Windows 7 after serious testing.

    I like Windows 7 but I have some concerns that I'd like addressed before final release

    First thing - EVERYONE I spoke to even at the MS booth at CES said they want the UP FOLDER back in explorer - yes there are other ways to go back one folder but the up folder was convenient.

    Classic start menu - not an option - classic start menu makes it easier to support clients if they have key components such as network properties and my computer on the desktop. I'm not saying it should be the default but why not make it an option as it was in Windows XP and Vista? I realize you can put some icons on the desktop (not IE) using personalize.

    Media Center won't let you click on album art cover once a song is already playing to play the new song from the album art cover. Seems only logical.

    Media Center - often has static in playback - using Audigy 2z sound card.

    Search works well but it would be great if the search in the start menu had a drop down just like run has in the start menu so you can repeat a search from your search history.

    Aero interface stops working without message so flip 3d stops with alt-tab - using the troubleshooting fix sometimes solves it by enabling desktop manager - sometimes it can't - how do you manually enable Windows desktop manager - personalize desktop works but nothing to control the aero interface

    Since most current receivers and other media streaming capable devices will support .flac file playback, it seems a shame not to use the native media player in windows as a media streaming server - instead because windows does not natively support flac playback, we have to look at alternative hardware streaming solutions or mediaplayers similar to windows media player but with flac support such as tversity or Twonky or Nero

    Winver does not tell you if you are running 64 or 32 bit - computer properties would be improved if 64 or 32 bit was listed in the top section. It never states if you are installing the 32 or 64 bit version during installation.

    It would be nice if it was easy to see what version and build of windows you were running by going to computer properties or by running winver - currently it tells you Windows Version 6.1 - Build 70000 - it doesn't say 7000 x64 081212-1400

    During Install if you attempt to install with a brand new drive it won't install until you format the drive and reboot.

    There is no desktop icon for IE - this was very handy for clear items and change settings etc before going into IE.

    Do something with the 200 MB partion in disk manager so it is clear that it is a restore point or whatever - change the color of it, just make it more clearly defined.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Henri - Thanks. I agree with many of the items you posted and wsn't aware of some of them. I've been posting this info just about everywhere I can - too bad it is impossible to get MS' attention. I feel like a gnat trying to move an elephant.

    It seems MS has made no more effort to actually LISTEN to feedback than they did with Vista. And we all know how well it paid off for MS not to listen to feedback on Vista.

    I really want Windows 7 to be a good OS but for some reason MS is determined to repeat many of the same mistakes they made with Vista. It would be great if ONCE just ONCE MS actually sent developers to CES to get feedback from the general public instead of the few major companies that spec out the kludge of features that end up in MS's products.

    VastaaPoista
  3. "too bad it is impossible to get MS' attention. I feel like a gnat trying to move an elephant."

    Oh, me too.

    "I really want Windows 7 to be a good OS but for some reason MS is determined to repeat many of the same mistakes they made with Vista."

    I think that they are rushing a bit. They say there will be no Beta 2, which is sad.

    VastaaPoista
  4. To the original point of the post...press "Alt" and the window comes up. You can make it permanently visible in the folder options as well.

    VastaaPoista
  5. Actually, Ctrl+N is the right key combination to open a new window in Windows Explorer, but the menu item is still missing. It's a bit confusing...

    VastaaPoista
  6. WOW really i'm disappointed from this blog. You can just pres F10 and the additional menu items come....

    VastaaPoista
  7. F10 just opens the menu. There is still no "New Window" item in the menu. At least, I can't find it.

    VastaaPoista